Friday, February 16, 2007

WASTE THE HOURS WITH TALKING.....
Worth blogging? Possibly. At midday yesterday I saw a young guy down by the storm water drain below us, in the valley. He was noisily breaking up what looked like an aluminium window frame.
I happened to catch him leaving a few hours later bearing the fruits of his labours, including what appeared to be a fine length of copper piping.
When I went up the top that afternoon at 3.30pm to let Flo out, there was the same youngster, now dressed in smart casuals with a backpack, striding swiftly up the Crescent, his short orange dreadlocks bouncing as he went.
He passed Flo on the pavement and then turned and went back to say something to her. I have to admit in that split second to wondering whether I could get the gate lock open quickly enough to save her heh...
But - no need - I saw her shake her head and the youth turned and resumed his climb up our road. He greeted me as he passed and I smiled and then I started chatting to young Danny at the gate, who had kindly stopped for a minute to make fat Sophie's day.
I could hear the dreadlocked youth continuously shouting stuff as he walked but have no idea what he was on about.
This morning at 8.00am he was back down by the drain in the valley with another set of windowframes to break up and dressed in work clothes. I was cleaning the birdbath and only saw him when he called out good morning. I nodded and went about my business.
At 8.30am I sent a text to Captain Bhopal of our SAPS and asked whether the Patrol guys could move the young man on. I forwarded this same message to our Vice-Chair (CPF) as well, as she has mentioned on at least 3 occasions at our meetings, that der Kommissar has said "if you are uncomfortable about someone hanging around, contact the SAPS".
An hour later the young man was still down there ranting away in the wind to some invisible companion.
By 10.30am it had gone quiet. Whether he was merely resting under the trees or had left is immaterial. It was merely an interesting exercise to see whether the suggestion made by der Kommissar was a valid one. You decide....
If I were to query the matter, would I be told that moving him on would be detrimental to Small Business? Where did this young man acquire the aluminium and the copper? Is he from the Challenge Institute? *puts the dude back on iggie.....
If we are to have 78 flats built on the hill next to the convent, there are going to be a lot more interesting things to watch than one strange young man *cackles.....
Aware as I am, that our SAPS finest are stretched to the maximum with their workload, I find it curious that der Kommissar should offer residents an option that is just not (for whatever reasons)workable. A hiccup? *beams......
Some months ago, Cassim down at No. 2 had a similar situation and was told by the officers that the fellow hanging about then, was 'working' and should be allowed to continue.
An interesting conclusion IMO, as the Parkland has been a safe haven for all sorts of low life over the years and certainly not a suitable site for a would-be scrap metal dealer to ply his trade *laughing....
I have to admit, that on every occasion our Vice Chair has reminded us of this specific order given by der Kommissar, my eyebrows have lost themselves in my hairline temporarily heheh....
and now it would appear, justifiably....
It is always possible that all available staff were out attending to 'real' crimes when I sent my text. Still, some aspects really intrigue me....
where did the young guy change into his smart, clean clothes (not inexpensive looking)? Who supplies him with the aluminium and copper? Why choose an area tucked away out of sight to work on the scrap metal? Did the Law move him on this morning? Will he be back tomorrow? Gripping stuff indeed... the cute Captain B responded within minutes to a "uve been blogged" text I sent him the day before, however, a deathly silence remained after sending today's text.... should I consider that I received a poor grade for my previous blog? *falls over laughing.....
Again, there well may be logical answers to all these queries but I fail to see them at the moment. Clean up the small stuff and the bigger crimes will decrease is clearly not a concept held by the authorities heh....
---oOo---
Friday 16th February 2007 at 12.38pm.